UF New Student Welcome

Program Objectives

The Department of Materials Science is dedicated to preparing students to have successful industry or academic-based careers in Materials Science and Engineering, Nuclear Engineering or related disciplines. Whether you join us on campus or online, or select our program as your major or minor, below you will find information to help you through your academic journey. You can also read through our Undergraduate Handbook.


So you want to major in Materials Science and Engineering or Nuclear Engineering? Great! If you declared Materials Science and Engineering or Nuclear Engineering as your major in your application to UF and were accepted, then you are in the major and should have received information about advising. If you have not declared the department as your major, go to the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering’s Advising Office in Weil Hall (Room 204) to learn how to switch your major.

For Materials Science and Engineering, make sure to take a look at the requirements here.

For Nuclear Engineering, learn about the requirements here.


In the department, students majoring in materials science have an option to get a certificate related to specific materials. This provides students with the opportunity to gain specialized knowledge in that material that is related to future academic or job goals. This allows students to be more than materials generalists. Certificates can be earned for Biomaterials, Ceramics, Electronic Materials, Metals or Polymers.


Minoring in either Materials Science and Engineering or in Nuclear Engineering provides students with the opportunity to expand their learning experience beyond their primary major.

How do I apply?

To add a minor, you will need to fill out this form to Add or Cancel an Undergraduate Minor. You will need to obtain a signature from your department to add the minor and then come into our Academic Services Office, 108 Rhines Hall. We will give you some background on the minor and then refer you to see the MSE or NE Undergraduate coordinators. They will assist you in choosing courses in our curriculum which will complement your Bachelor of Science degree.

Requirements for Minor

The requirements for the MSE minor can be found here.

The requirements for the NE minor can be found here.


The department offers more than 40 undergraduate courses in Materials and Engineering and Nuclear Engineering.

Click here to view the scheduled courses.