The Department of Materials Science & Engineering champions diversity within our community. We are committed to an inclusive learning environment promoting individual and group empowerment, equity and elimination of discrimination, and our students, faculty and staff are expected to support this mission. Each person will treat one another with dignity and respect regardless of gender, sexuality, disability, age, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, race or culture.
Inclusive Excellence is the active process of including and respecting everyone as we strive for excellence and equitable outcomes in all we do at the University of Florida. Daily actions toward Inclusive Excellence are the responsibility of every one of us.
ABCs of fostering Inclusive Excellence at UF:
- Advocate for everyone’s success.
- Be an ally to others as you partner with your colleagues on DEI work.
- Celebrate your successes!
Our mission is to identify and name the systemic barriers to equity and inclusion present within our department, then work with those affected to co-create policy changes and implement solutions to increase diversity and access.
Our vision is to create a department in which all identities are welcomed and protected, in which all individuals have equal access to resources and feel empowered to speak up when they do not, and in which we work together as a community towards our mutual success, growth, and well-being.
Accomplishing these objectives calls for each of us to be among the strongest voices demanding change and the strongest forces working to achieve it. The burden is everyone’s to bear, but to this point far too few have shouldered the weight.
- Andreas Enqvist, Ph.D. – Chair
- Ryan Need, Ph.D.
- Megan Butala, Ph.D.
- Simon Phillpot, Ph.D.
- Aroba Saleem, Ph.D.
- Michael Tonks, Ph.D.
- Tahara Franklin
- Nekia Jones
- Ade Kumuyi
- Danielle Alverson
- Steph Meikle
- Alison Veintimilla
- Timothy Yoo
Megan ButalaAssistant ProfessorMaterials Science & Engineering
Ph.D., 2017, University of California, Santa Barbara
Research Interests: Energy Storage Materials, Lithium-ion Batteries, Structure-Property Relationships, X-ray Diffraction, Pair Distribution Function Analysis
Lab Website: Butala Research Group
IDEA Coalition Action List
The MSE IDEA Coalition has developed an Action Items List aimed at achieving our vision to help us to become a department in which all identities are welcomed and protected, in which all individuals have equal access to resources and feel empowered to speak up when they do not, and in which we work together as a community towards our mutual success, growth and well-being. This list will be revisited on a continued basis to identify new or modified action when needed or where opportunities arise.
A Guide to Gender Identity TERMS
“Pronouns are basically how we identify ourselves apart from our name. It’s how someone refers to you in conversation,” says Mary Emily O’Hara, a communications officer at GLAAD. “And when you’re speaking to people, it’s a really simple way to affirm their identity.”
Issues of equality and acceptance of transgender and nonbinary people – along with challenges to their rights – have become a major topic in the headlines. These issues can involve words and ideas and identities that are new to some. >>> READ MORE
Have you made your plans? Get involved! Each year on the third Monday of January, the nation observes Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and reflects on the work that still needs to be done for racial equality. This year, make it more than just a day off and take time to both reflect and participate. A National ...READ MORE
Inequality in science and engineering can have lasting impacts across race, gender and ethnicities that go unnoticed for decades – yet affect treatments and solutions used every day. Now, four faculty members in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering aim to shine a light on some of these knowledge gaps and help rectify the ...READ MORE
Spotlight on Dr. Ryan Need (they/them) We recently had the opportunity to speak with Dr. Ryan Need, assistant professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE). Q: Dr. Need, first, welcome as a relatively new faculty member at the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering. Can you tell us about your experience as a new faculty ...READ MORE
The MSE IDEA Coalition has developed an Action Items List aimed at achieving our vision to help us to become a department in which all identities are welcomed and protected, in which all individuals have equal access to resources and feel empowered to speak up when they do not, and in which we work together ...READ MORE
We are reaching out with a message of support and solidarity with the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) members of our community amid increasing violence and discrimination, and a history of the same, in the U.S. There has been a marked increased racial violence and hate against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) over the ...READ MORE
It is imperative that we take care of ourselves, our children and others. We have listed below our recommended links for both information and opportunities.
University of Florida Resources
- UF Multicultural & Diversity Affairs
- UF Chief Diversity Officer
- UF Counseling and Wellness Center (CWC) services
- UF LGBTQ+ Affairs
- UF Ombuds Office
Reporting an Incident
- Violations of the honor and student conduct code can be reported to the Dean of Students Office.
- A bias incident or hate crime can be reported to the UF Respect Team.
UF Student Groups
- Benton Engineering Council
- Engineering Student Advisory Council
- Engineering Graduate Student Council
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE)
- Phi Sigma Rho (engineering sorority)
- BAM! – Best Advocacy Movement training
- SafeZone Faculty Training
- Center for Student Excellence
- Fernandez Family Scholars
- McNair Scholars
- Machen Florida Opportunity Scholars
- GEM Fellowship
Increase Your Knowledge
Comprehensive List of Resources
Understanding Why Black People are Anguished
- Black People Are Tired
- This Week Has Happened Before
- Remember, No One Is Coming to Save Us
- I Can’t Breathe: And This is Why
Becoming an Ally
- Talking About Race Portal (conversation facilitator)
- Anti-Racism Resource Collection
- Links to Antiracism Resources
- Hub for Recommendations, including Media and Books
Resources for the Family
- Academics for Black Survival and Wellness
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – counseling
- Self-Care Tips for Black Americans
- Black Mental Health Resources
FACULTY AND STAFF resources
- Guidelines for Diversity & Inclusion in Crisis by Juan Gilbert, Ph.D., The Banks Family Preeminence Endowed Professor and
Department Chair, CISE
- HWCOE Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) Committee
- Enrolling, nurturing and graduating underrepresented women of color
- Henry T. Frierson, Juan E. Gilbert, Jeremy A. M. Waisome, Untapped Computer Scientists, Science 30 Oct 2020: Vol. 370, Issue 6516, pp. 502
- Best practices for search committees
- Inclusivity in the Classroom
- Inclusive teaching refers to a variety of teaching approaches that strive to address the needs of all students. — UF Center for Teaching Excellence